Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Staycation Thing

One of the things that I really love about living around here is that there is always something to do if you want to do it. Not that there isn't a plenty to do right here within these four walls...but sometimes a girl's gotta get out, you know?

You just don't have those kind of options in Nebraska. You have football or volleyball games, or you gotta get out the hayrack for fall entertainment up there. Not that I'm knocking the bonfire/hayrack ride. Good times. But most of the times that I was near a hayrack, I was more likely to be throwing bales from the field.

So this fall we have been to the Texas State Fair. This might be one of my favorite things about the fall. I love Big Tex. I love corny dogs. I love The Spririt of the Horse, and the Dog Shows are beginning to grow on me. We always go on the weekend, so often there are very few animal exhibits there, as most of the shows are during the week. But you can usually still smell their remnants, and to me, that's okay.

I miss the smells of the country. One morning this past summer I was out running and I smelled my Grandma. Really. I got a whiff of the dairy/dog/powdered milk/hay/chicken poop that was the aura and essence of my Grandma. I don't know where it came from, or how it got to southeast Arlington, but it was good.

As we were near the end of our stay this year, a wonderful and kind man gave Pat his extra tickets. There were way more than we could use; we let Parker and Peyton each choose a ride, as this year they were both big enough to ride. See?


They chose to ride the airplane. Parker loved it. Peyton did not.










The last thing on the agenda was to watch the "Spirit of the Horse" show. When we got to the arena, they were about to start the Pee-Wee Stampede. If you have never had the pleasure, folks, you are missing some genuine entertainment. Peyton was all about hopping in that arena and throwing on a cowboy hat. Parker, on the other hand, only agreed after some gentle persuading.
Like, "You're not doing this? Are you sure? Peyton is doing this? You're really not going to do this and your little sister is doing this?" I know, not a great moment in parenting, but it got him out there.
And then Peyton chickened out.

Parker was a bull rider and he scored an 85 (who are these judges?!?) and won a lovely yellow participation ribbon.

No comments: