Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Daycation Thing

There are vacations, staycations, and daycations. That's what you call a one day trip to San Antonio to see your sister Denise.

We were actually there a weekend, but Weekendcation just didn't have the same ring to it.

Don't think that I have even started to think that it is okay for Denise to be over four hours away from us, but we had a GREAT time in San Antonio. You all should try it--it really is a nice city even if those people down there did steal my sister from us here in Arlington.

We weren't able to leave until later Saturday afternoon when our freshmen volleyball tournament was over. But the whole trip began much sooner. We started packing our bags on Friday night. Parker and Peyton love to go on trips, and they really get into packing. I let them help out, and it soon became apparant that all they planned to do in San Antonio was play with magnetics and barbies, and read books. In their swimming suits.

We got to Denise's apartment about 8 pm, and by that time my voice was completely gone. I couldn't squeek out a single word--which the kids thought was great, by the way--so I, for once, let Denise talk.
The next morning we woke up and Denise and I went for a run while Pat took the kids to the park. She has the most awesome park with running/biking/hiking trails. We had to run single file, as the trails were narrow and winding, and since I could barely talk by Sunday morning, it's not like we were missing out on any conversation. Denise led because she knew where she was going, and a couple of ladies warned us about a rattlesnake that they saw on the back trails. Since I was born first, I thought I'd let her see the rattler first. Plus, how was I supposed to look out for a 20 foot long snake when I was navigating the terrain scatterred with tree roots, rocks, and 10 foot drop-offs?

I really did about bite it one time, and some parts of the trail were so steep and rocky we had to walk up and down the embankments.

We went to the riverwalk and had Mexican for lunch, fed any creature that would come near us, and played in the fountains.



After lunch we all went to the children's museum. The kids built stuff did scientific/learn-y things, but the best part was Pat in a wig. There was a play bank, a pretend H-E-B grocery store, a cow that they milked and produced water (gasp!), an airplane, a pretend dentist office, an old-fashioned mercantile...we all had a good time. Even Pippy over there.

We went back to Denise's and I decided I'd better get some drugs because my sinuses were making my teeth hurt. So Denise and I went to Walgreens for some cold medicine and the nail salon for pedicures. Just for good measure. A little extra pampering never hurt anybody.

The kids had to swim, and even though it's still in the upper 80's in San Antonio in the middle of October, that water was cold. Parker swam until his lips were blue--a whole 15 minutes. Peyton, Denise and I wisely chose to watch from the sidelines.

Sunday night Denise took us to a wing place down the street that I think was called Cheers because they knew her by name. They also knew a guy named Hank, who we never saw but for a few hours Saturday night because apparently down here in Texas high school football is more important than seeing your significant other's family.

By Sunday night we were all spent. We woke up when Denise went to inservice Monday morning and went to Chic-Fil-A for breakfast. Parker said, "Where are all the kids?" Well, their mommies and daddies don't get them up at the crack of dawn for playtime. We stopped at the drive-thru zoo on our way out of town and saw some freaky ostriches (and cool zebras, giraffe, buffalo, gazelles), got some GOOD Rudy's BBQ in Waco, and were home by 4 pm. A great day(ortwo)cation.

As gross as my sinuses were by the end of the weekend, it was so good to see Denise, her place, her town, and hey, even Hank for a little while. For the record, however, I'd like it to be known that should she choose to move back closer, I wouldn't have to dream of stupid names for our weekend trips to see her.

Denise, you did good, girl. Winks :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh,so sweet. Loved having you guys down. We get this four bedroom house and you can LIVE with us...no need for a Daycation. Livacation!