Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Amazing Potion Thing

For most of his almost five years of life, Parker has wanted to be a football player when he grows up. One day this summer, for reasons beyond my comprehension, Parker announced that his days of dreaming of football were over. Just like that. Before he donned a single set of pads or a helmet, before he was flattened and left for dead in the dust, Parker's relationship with football as we knew it would be over. Just like that.

Instead, he told me from his car seat in the back of my car, he would be an inventor kid.

I promise we have NEVER watched Harry Potter. Not once.

I really really dislike science, especially chemistry, so where he found this notion I will never know. But he is running with it.

One night about a month ago, he took a small cup, filled it with water in the bathroom, and placed it gently on the window sill in our front entry-way.

When asked what in the world he was doing, Parker matter-of-factly replied that he was making "depotion"; in other, normal, words, I think he meant, "the potion." He told me that the water would turn into magic potion "from the moonlight."


One Friday night--it was the night that we were expecting to be blown away from Hurricane Ike--Parker put his glass of water on the window sill. When he woke on Saturday morning, the water had turned green!


Pat said that when he discovered his water had turned into green magic potion, he threw his hands in the air, jumped up and down, and screamed, "I did it! I'm an inventor-kid!"

This is Parker explaining what made the experiment work:

1. mix together hot water and cold water.

2. put the water in the window on a Friday night.

3. make sure there is a storm comin' outside.

If I liked science in the least, I would be so proud.

No comments: