Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Wallpaper Thing

I've spent the last 3 hours of my sacred three-day weekend scraping this off of our bathroom walls:

It's glue from the wallpaper border that used to hang on the bathroom wall, and it has hampered my plans to have the bathroom walls re-painted by the end of the day. This day.

Let me urge any of you homeowners out there who are tempted to glue pieces of paper to your wall to let it pass. There are so many other viable options out there: paint, plaster, wood paneling...

Wallpaper just plain stinks when it comes time to redecorate. This wicked covering was on our master bedroom walls and our kitchen walls, both of which I stripped (with quadruple the pain and anguish) the first year we lived in this house...four years ago. The memory of the scrubbing and scraping must have temporarily fled my memory when I decided to tackle the border in the "other" bathroom.

So my plan was to take down the border and tape off the baseboards yesterday and apply two coats of paint today. Oh, Wallpaper, how you had other ideas! I'm now 24 hours behind schedule because your sticky and nasty layers of paper and glue we're oh so attached to our bathroom walls.

Seriously people, wallpaper must be the WORST excuse for wall decor. It's too permanant. Have a new color scheme hit you in the middle of the night? With a nice, clean painted wall, you just get yourself a gallon of Behr semi-gloss, a little blue tape, and your set. Viola! A new look in less than twenty-four hours. But with wallpaper, it's a wet and sloppy mess before you even get to crack open the lid of the paint.

Honestly, I just don't have the time for that.

So I'm warning you right now, homeowners, you put that mess up on your walls, I'm not buying your house.

On a more positive note, I did repaint the kitchen island that looked like someone had painted it with "Lost your Lunch" color paint. I'm still not totally satisfied with the new color, so I'm not inviting guests until I get it right.

But y'all are always welcome to drop by unannounced and uninvited.

1 comment:

Kim Higginbotham said...

See, that's why I have yet to repaint the kids' bedroom. There is one wall, ONE WALL, with wallpaper on it! I have yet to figure out how, or why, that even happened! I even considered repainting the other three walls and still leave that ugly wallpaper there!