Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Language Thing

Okay Friends, this post is brought to you courtesy of my dear sister, Kim. She lives in Iowa and has a darling family that drives her nuts, too. One of our favorite things to do is embarrass our kids (hopefully, someday) by telling each other the crazy things that our kids do. Kim has a 6th grade step-son, Evan, a five year old boy, Ty, and a three year old little girl, Bryn. They do and say some funny stuff.

Here's an email that I got from Kim last week. And I even asked her permission to post this, so no one even try to sue me for plagarism.

Ah, the joys of language acquisition...

I have a funny story about bedtime prayers….. Allen Mathes and his wife had their baby the day after Christmas. We went over to their house on Saturday to visit them and the little guy. His name is Beckett Wilkes Mathes and Ty kept wanting to call him ‘Bucket’ instead of ‘Beckett”. He was getting frustrated every time we would correct him that he finally said, “I’m just going to call him “Baby”. Okay, whatever.

Last night when I asked Ty and Bryn each who their special prayers were for, Bryn said, “My special prayers are for baby Beckett.” (Who she calls Bucket too). So after our prayers were over Ty asks, “Mom, is his name ‘Fucket’? To which I let a laugh escape and said, ‘No. It’s Beckett. B..B..Beckett.”

“Well, that’s just a stupid name.”

I said, “Ty, that’s not very nice to say. Would you like it if someone said you had a stupid name?”

“But I don’t have a stupid name. I have a nice name. It’s just Ty.”

Hard to argue when they make a valid point.

Thanks for the great material, Kimmy. Winks ;)

1 comment:

The Lewis Family said...

HA! That's hysterical. Pretty sure I'd pee my pants if that ever came out of Caleb's mouth.