Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Running Thing


Last Saturday J.B. Little held their first ever Rascal Round-up. Since I had been so consumed with the Jiggle Butt Run, I barely even knew this was a race-in-the-making, and although I do feel somewhat guilty that I didn't do more to support the "making" as a Parent And (not so) Active Member of the PTA, it was so much more fun participating as a runner and watching the kids do their first "real" race.

And by real, I mean Peyton didn't whine the whole way and beg to be pushed in the stroller.

Here we are before the race:















And here are the kids--Parker's classmate Ainsley, Parker, and Peyton--with their faces painted and wild in the yard after the race. Of course, those three got more exercise jumping in bounce houses and running around AFTER the race than they did DURING the race.














The kids and Patrick ran the 1K, and the thrill of it all was that Parker and Peyton got to run on the street. Who knew that would be so exciting? Patrick said that Parker and Peyton both ran the whole darn thing, and I'm really surprised.

Considering the last time Peyton went on a run with me, it consisted of walking to the street ("We'll run when we get to the park, Mom."), walking to the park ("We'll run on the way home, Mom."), swinging in the swings and playing on the playground, and then walking home ("Could you just carry me on your shoulders, Mom?"). Good times.

I ran the 10K and it was a hilly course. It took that giant hill on Arkansas, through Veterans Park, and then the back way through DWG, otherwise known as "Bobcat Road." Some more tough hills. I was lucky enough to run with Jim, who pushed me way faster than my old and sleep-deprived legs really wanted to carry me. My legs were so cursing you Sunday morning, Jim.

But the best part of the day, by far, was the raffle for door prizes during the awards ceremony. All morning a beautiful candy bouquet tempted and teased all the young runners. It was the final prize of the day, and guess who won.....

No comments: