Thursday, August 27, 2009

An Anticipated Thing--Parker's First Day

Today, finally, Parker began his trek through public education. If the beginning is any indication of what is to come, Lord help us all.
This week has already come with it's share of obstacles--Parker's funky virus that was here, then gone, then here again--but we were faced with yet another when it came time to get dressed for the day.
I had picked out a pair of nice but comfortable khaki shorts and a collared shirt. It was a casual outfit, I thought, but also a little dapper-ish. He wears it to church sometimes, or out to eat if we are going somewhere nice.
He shot it down. Totally. Told me he couldn't play in clothes like that.
After all, kindergarten is all about playing. Forget reading and writing and 'rithmatic.
Obviously he's paid too much attention to what Pat wears to school every day--t-shirt and gym shorts. Because after Parker put on his chosen outfit of a t-shirt and shorts, he asked, "See Mom, doesn't this look more appropriate?"
Seriously--appropriate? Where'd that come from?
So here he is, showing off his backpack, and his kindergarten-appropriate outfit.






And here he is with his two great buddies, Maddie and Anna. What a relief to see a familiar face on your first day of school, when everybody else knows what to do and has already made friends and already knows and loves their teacher....
At least that's what I was thinking when I saw them walking up the sidewalk.













And here is Parker with his teacher, Mrs. Baty. I love her already.













Bobbi asked me last week if I would cry when I dropped Parker off for his first day. I said probably. Or perhaps cheer and do back flips all the way out of the building.
Since I was carrying two Sponge Bob umbrellas in one arm and Presley in an a infant carrier in the other, and since Peyton would have been witness to the freak that she calls her mother, I abstained from any sort of celebration.
Didn't feel much like it, anyway. Was I relieved? Yes. We got Parker to school on time this morning, delivered him safely to yet another milestone in his life.
Cause that's what this journey is so much about, anyway. God put us here to help His kids--our kids--get from one point to the next.
Sometimes those stops are significant, sometimes they aren't.
Sometimes we get there on day one, sometimes we don't arrive until day four.
I'm just glad I get to ride along.

No comments: